Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dustin Webster coming to Eurotrial

Hello Dustin.

We have someone to pick you up at the busstation in Borås.

About Red Bull. They can contact, or ask for, me.
    Mobil +46 706 329 629

/Roger
    Borås Jeepklubb
    Eurotrial Sweden 2010

or me... I need a new sponsor... he he
    Tommy Olsen
    tlf: 94141987
    tommy @ pirate4x4.no

ROCKS! They'r for dinner! RedBullRockIt's Avatar

Thanks Roger.

And thanks to you too Tommy...nice to see you're thinking only of others!

See you both in 5 days!
    RockOn,
    Dustin Webster
    Red Bull RockCrawling Team

jepp.... see you soon...
    Tommy Olsen
    tlf: 94141987
    tommy @ pirate4x4.no

Roger, again, we leave for Europe tomorrow and will not be able to communicate during our travels. We do not have a mobile phone and will only have e-mail communication for short periods of time when a wifi signal is present. We will TRY to make the early bus and arrive at Boras at 18:13. If that is not possible, we will be on the bus arriving at 19:53. If there is noone there to pick us up, we will wait for 1/4 hour and then find our own way to the Boras Camping.

Thanks and see you all SOON! Best wishes for safe travel for everyone!
    RockOn,
    Dustin Webster

Hello Dustin.

Don´t worry we will pick you up at the busstation.

/Roger
    Borås Jeepklubb

Original

Hy,

another possibility:

I will arrive tomorrow ( 11-08-2010 ) at 21:15 from germany at the airport Göteborg-Landvetter.
    My friend Andy will pick me up.

If anyone want,s to drive with us to the Boras camping, ...no problem !

Greats
    Norbert

Name:  IMG_9817.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  73.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_9818.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  81.3 KB

Did`t see this car at Sunday!

Anyone no why?

Jeeps are bils, not båts! Amund's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jørn Høidalen View Post
    Did`t see this car at Sunday!

Anyone no why?
    Have you seen the optician lately? I have probably 5 gigs of video of it from sunday. Will post here when I've had the chance to edit it together. It was very interesting to see Dustin drive this rig, there are so many details (plus guts) in his driving that I've never seen european drivers (including myself) do. There is much more to squeeze out of our rigs!

You americans should really come over and participate, that would for sure raise the bar and teach us old dogs some new tricks.
    Jeeps are bils, not båts!

Quote Originally Posted by Amund View Post
    Have you seen the optician lately? I have probably 5 gigs of video of it from sunday. Will post here when I've had the chance to edit it together. It was very interesting to see Dustin drive this rig, there are so many details (plus guts) in his driving that I've never seen european drivers (including myself) do. There is much more to squeeze out of our rigs!

You americans should really come over and participate, that would for sure raise the bar and teach us old dogs some new tricks.
    Are you an old dog now?
    used to have a runner...

"I used to go missing quite a lot... Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World." —British soccer bad boy George Best

Old Toys Never die ! hoel-in-one's Avatar

.. I don`t think Amund was thinking of his viriginity this time
    I am glad you liked the Ghost-cars Dustin See you round
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Hoelern
    Cell: +47 95103322

Quote Originally Posted by knixen View Post
    Are you an old dog now?
    I'm sure they could teach new dogs old tricks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hoel-in-one View Post
    .. I don`t think Amund was thinking of his viriginity this time
    Please leave my virginity out of it.

Old Toys Never die ! hoel-in-one's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amund View Post
    Please leave my virginity out of it.

Ok dude
    Hoelern
    Cell: +47 95103322

Hello Dustin we thankyou for visit us, it was fun to meet you. Hope we seen again. Hope you like our competition. Now its time for relax and a new 4x4meeting in September.

See you
    Arne Karlsson
    org.leader Borås Jeepklubb

Here´s few pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Last night, we finally arrived home from 22 days of holiday in Europe. Exciting new places, tons of new faces, and many memories that will last forever!

The part of our tour you will be interested in was our time at Eurotrial. As I mentioned on-stage at the awards ceremony, we learned that the stories of the skill of the European teams, and the friendship offered by all, are completely TRUE. Every person we met was generous and welcoming, whether they were a competitor, an organizer, from the media, or just a spectator…they ALL treated us like we had been friends forever! For us, that was great and really was something you all may take for granted. Because you experience it every day at your competitions, you may not realize how special that is. Please, never change that as to someone from outside of your part of the world, it is a special experience!

Regarding the teams…you are amazing. From the newer teams to the veteran teams, you take things VERY seriously. Also, most of you actually work as teams, even when you are competing against one another. Everyone here in the USA is more than willing to help every other team out, but while at Eurotrial, I experienced something different, which was the arrangement of the teams from different countries. I was impressed with teams like Germany and Norway, and a number of others, how they had a competition plan and repair/service strategy, including tools, parts, and mechanics, all working in harmony. Yes, you guys helped anyone from other teams that needed it, but the amazing thing was how well you worked WITHIN your teams. Each person seemed to know their position and duties and the organization was as good as my own professional team…that is a compliment as many do not realize that for 10 years, this is what I have done as a profession and NOONE here in the US is as organized and prepared at competition as our team is. Many of you were equal to our efforts and that was amazing to see as I realize that you have careers that are NOT as professional competitors.

Regarding the drivers…TOP NOTCH! A dozen or so of you could compete on the highest levels anywhere in the world. Australia, Japan, and the US, all have high level teams and you are more than talented enough to drive with them. Your skills in the technical parts of the courses are great to watch and when watching you drive, I personally recognize that most of you have put a lot of time and skill into making a good course strategy. Next, many teams can develop strategy but not so many can actually remember it perfectly, or follow it when under pressure. Many of the top teams did both very well. If you guys were competing in the northwest or eastern USA, you could bring your vehicles over and do WELL. If you were competing in the southwest US, you would need stronger cars to handle the abuse, but if you had that, again, you would do VERY well.

The vehicles…I have never seen so much variety at a competition. I had as much fun watching the Original class as the Proto class and it was clear that the spectators also liked every class as they were spread evenly among the courses. It was neat to see those vehicles and how each team had their own way of designing things in a way that they thought would complete the courses the best. I will say that those that doubted a non-portal axle on those courses did not consider that the course designer did a VERY good job making the courses balanced to EVERY type of vehicle. That is what made the variety of vehicles so much more fun to watch as they ALL could compete on what we call an “even playing field”, making for a balanced competition. Regarding what I was talking about above, that the drivers would need a different vehicle if competing in the southwest USA…The reason there is a difference in the southwest is that there is incredible traction and CRAZY climbs and drops that destroy vehicles. There is only ONE portal Axle vehicle competing in the southwest after years of trying to make them survive here. The problem is the sever hits and punishment the vehicle takes, combined with the unbelievable traction, flexes the portal boxes so much that the spider gear shafts get out of alignment and everything breaks. Mishka is built like most southwest US competition vehicles and many of you saw how much abuse it can take. Anything less and BOOM, things explode. Also, the suspension geometry needs to be very different for the climbs and descents we must do…but again, this is the southwest only…the rest of the country and the rest of the world, including Australia and Japan, you guys and gals would be ready to rock! Really, from all standpoints, most of your rigs were something I would LOVE to compete in! And yes, the Ghosts were amazing and actually FINISHED, with even a nice paint scheme that appeals to the spectators. Nice work on those!

The rules…I asked Tommy to send them over a few weeks before the event so I could truly understand the strategy possible. All in all, it is close to what we have here in the USA so I do not have much comment on most things. Yes, the rules were different in some areas but there is nothing wrong with that. There is something that was NOT defined in the rules but that you actually followed anyway, and that was a “spirit” clause when it came to vehicle specifications and safety. A rule that is something like this:
    “Every rule is a guideline to ensure fairness and/or safety. As it is impossible to forsee every possible technicality of these rules, determination of the definition of a rule will be based on the “spirit of the rule”, not the “written word of the rule”. If a situation presents itself that challenges the written rule, the organizers will view the actual intent of the rule and compare that with the written rule and make a decision based on whether the situation is within the original “spirit” or not. If the situation is within the “spirit” of the rule and does not offer a competitive advantage, but improves safety over the written rule, it MAY be allowed.”
    Watching the event organizers at tech inspection, it was clear that they followed this concept, which is the true basis for every set of rules in the first place. Not enough organizers realize this but your technical inspectors are VERY good, and do. They take the proper time to review things and carefully inspect the buggies to ensure things are as they should be. When there is a question of being un-safe, they are strong enough to address it. The teams should be VERY happy that Eurotrial is run this way!
    Next, the event formatting…I only had two things that I assumed in advance that I would see changed. The sticks, although you have used them for many years and obviously prefer them…I saw two times where a stick was broken and came into the cockpit of the vehicle…both times, there was no occupant contact, but still, that happening at all is an obvious safety concern. Before, I wondered if the sticks would be replaced fairly and equally each time and was happy to see that on all but one occasion, the sticks were close enough to be acceptable. The one occasion I did see a problem, the team was lucky to not be affected by the placement and immediately after the team was done running, one of the excellent judges noticed that things were incorrect, called a Marshall, and fixed the situation. For that event, aside from the safety issue, the sticks were not so bad…still, the safety issue is one of those things where I would think things would change regarding the sticks.
    The next issue I saw was regarding what we call, “sweeping” a gate by intentionally contacting the gate going an easier way. In this event, for the top teams, this rule did not make any difference but in the middle of the pack, I promise it did. Being able to pass a gate with only a single tire and getting the same score as a true attempt that happened to get all four tires through but still broke the gate is questionable. There is a VERY big difference between “sweeping” a gate stick with a single tire, and actually passing the gate, yet they are equal in penalty points. As a competitor, I personally would not like that. Especially in the case of Eurotrial where you are testing the best against the best, I would suspect to see a more competitive rule in place for that situation.
    Finally, regarding the enforcement of event rules, it was EXCELLENT to see the event Marshalls were very fast to arrive when needed and how they approached every issue (which there were only a couple that I saw) with complete professionalism. You should be proud of this!

The event…Judging….Professional judges. Well, the sport as it is all over the world cannot have truly professional judges as there is just not enough money to keep a highly trained panel of judges travelling to competitions. This is just the way it is HOWEVER, the judges at the event in Boras were excellent! Yes, I am sure they did make a few mistakes here and there but that is the way it is in EVERYTHING that is human judged. However, the judges treated teams, the rules, and the competition with complete respect. They did not act like they were spectators that were just there to watch, but instead recognized how important their job was and understood that every call could make an important difference. That was great and every team should be thanking every judge that has this good attitude.
    The timing…things moved along at a good pace and the crowd always had something great to watch, no matter the area they were in. Recovery of stuck or broken vehicles did have a few delays due to the competition area’s layout and huge size, however when the recovery team did arrive, they were VERY fast and experienced and did a great job handling even difficult recoveries. I cannot imagine doing a better job without increasing the amount of recovery machines by a large amount.
    The announcer…I liked him. He was dynamic and knowledgeable about the sport and teams and was a true entertainer. The only thing bad about the announcing was the fact that he could not be heard over a wider area.
    The Courses…In the 2 days before the event I walked the courses numerous times and was excited to see the design made for many creative ideas on how to complete a course. That meant the crowd would see many different things on the same course as each team had the room to get creative, while the course was still balanced. I LOVED that and was really bummed that I would not get to compete in the event myself as I knew that I would enjoy the challenge. Day 1 proved to me that I was right, the courses were perfect! I congratulate the designers on that. At this point, I get to the only thing that truly disappointed me the entire event…on day 2 of the competition, the courses were either exactly the same or very close to the same when it was entirely possible to use the exact same boundaries, and change the courses into something entirely new. It was the highest level competition in Europe and day two should have been an entirely new challenge with drastic changes within each course. Yes, it was possible and not difficult to do. I heard many teams saying they were unhappy for the same reason and the course designer should take this as something serious. In an event this important, presenting the most variety in challenging the teams should be a major priority. Please, take this as constructive criticism…this is one of the most important areas.
    The location…Boras…it was exactly like our northwest and eastern US competition areas as the terrain is almost exactly the same. It was a good balance of rocks and dirt and tested everyone. It was HUGE and fun and challenging and…well…GREAT. The city??? I will be recommending it to friends as a holiday destination. It was clean, beautiful, had a great balance of architecture, was not difficult to navigate, had a GREAT city center, and the people were very humble and inviting. It is one of the few places I have visited in my broad travels around the world that I can say I would be happy to live in. The campground??? I am still smiling at what a great place that was to host a base camp. Whoever had this idea to use Boras Camping was a genius. Yes, for some things it made it a bit difficult for maintaining the competition vehicles, but overall the location had great people, a great attitude, and good logistics.
    The after party…excuse my choice of words here but…FUCK YEAH!!!!! What an amazing awards ceremony and after party. I have never had so much fun at an event in my life and even just walking to the party, seeing all of the teams showing their pride and friendship and excitement…well, that was something quite special. Truly, that will be a top memory for me from this event as it was quite special!

Well, I know this was a long letter so far but there are so many things that you all should be proud of. Eurotrial is a quite special event and I was honored to be there and to participate at least as an ambassador of the sport. I was proud also to be there to support Anton Filimonov as he piloted Miska in the event. That vehicle has only a couple hours of testing time and truly, he was brand new to it and the different style of driving a vehicle like that takes. He did not perform great but he did not drive bad either. In fact, he accomplished most of the difficult gates but just had trouble with strategy in getting from one gate to the next, which will work itself out over time. Clearly, he has a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing his progress. He was humble all through the build, asking us not to publicly admit the vehicle was for him as we built it. He did that because he did not want people to expect him to be a winning contender. Not many people would be as humble as he was and that says a lot about his character. I will say this though…I have instructed a lot of people over the years and he truly is a great student. He grasps not only the strategy, but also the technical part about WHY the vehicle does what it does. I hope next year to be able to return to Eurotrial to watch his improvement…I also hope he will have the time to actually practice…2 hours of driving on easy obstacles in a new vehicle is not what I call being ready for an event this big! He did VERY good considering that! Finally, I sure hope to compete next year. I am not saying I will be able to arrange it and pay for transport of a vehicle but if Eurotrial turns it into a truly worldwide invitation, I would HOPE to be able to attend and give it a shot!

Thanks for the hospitality, thanks for the friendship, thanks for the fun…it was an EXCELLENT experience!

Oh yeah...one more IMPORTANT thing...to those that helped us keep Mishka in the game with the link repair...THANK YOU!!! That went VERY smooth due to your assistance! Also, the German guy that kept loaning us things like brake fluid...thanks to you as well...everyone was very generous but all of you guys went above and beyond and made it MUCH nicer! Finally, thanks to those posting and sending videos and photos of it all. It will be great to have these memories to share with my friends and family here at home!

ROCK ON!!!!
    Dustin Webster
    Last edited by RedBullRockIt; 09-04-2010 at 05:23.
    RockOn,
    Dustin Webster

Standard

hi dustin

but next eurotrial you are only welcome if amber is going with you...

for those who didn´t know amber
    http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879009

Standard

Quote Originally Posted by RedBullRockIt View Post
    Next, the event formatting…I only had two things that I assumed in advance that I would see changed. The sticks, although you have used them for many years and obviously prefer them…I saw two times where a stick was broken and came into the cockpit of the vehicle…both times, there was no occupant contact, but still, that happening at all is an obvious safety concern. Before, I wondered if the sticks would be replaced fairly and equally each time and was happy to see that on all but one occasion, the sticks were close enough to be acceptable. The one occasion I did see a problem, the team was lucky to not be affected by the placement and immediately after the team was done running, one of the excellent judges noticed that things were incorrect, called a Marshall, and fixed the situation. For that event, aside from the safety issue, the sticks were not so bad…still, the safety issue is one of those things where I would think things would change regarding the sticks.
    The next issue I saw was regarding what we call, “sweeping” a gate by intentionally contacting the gate going an easier way. In this event, for the top teams, this rule did not make any difference but in the middle of the pack, I promise it did. Being able to pass a gate with only a single tire and getting the same score as a true attempt that happened to get all four tires through but still broke the gate is questionable. There is a VERY big difference between “sweeping” a gate stick with a single tire, and actually passing the gate, yet they are equal in penalty points. As a competitor, I personally would not like that. Especially in the case of Eurotrial where you are testing the best against the best, I would suspect to see a more competitive rule in place for that situation.
    Hi Dustin, i fully agree with you. The sticks and the gate sweeping should be changed in the future. Hopefully the eurotrial officials will listen to you.

If you manage to make it to the eurotrial next year and you are able to bring your rig you should plan to stay another week as we planned to have another comp a week later in an area near the eurotrial area. For more info see http://www.euro-offroad-challenge.com

I will also be at the SEMA show this year, maybe we can have a brew together .......
    if money is an issue ... do it right the first time .... poor people can't afford to be cheap
    http://de.4x4-garage.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedBullRockIt View Post
    I was proud also to be there to support Anton Filimonov as he piloted Miska in the event. That vehicle has only a couple hours of testing time and truly, he was brand new to it and the different style of driving a vehicle like that takes. He did not perform great but he did not drive bad either. ..........I also hope he will have the time to actually practice…2 hours of driving on easy obstacles in a new vehicle is not what I call being ready for an event this big!

ROCK ON!!!!
    Dustin Webster
    Hi there Dustin, it was nice to meet you, even though i propably didn't introduce myself, so you might have hard time connecting face to names after meeting so many people??

But anyhow, Anton is getting more practice at least on Finnish rocks at 25th of September. I really want to see how it works on clean rocks (hope it doesn't rain).

Dustin......you better get ypurself a car for EuroTrial 2011 and drive the competition and maybe get few other US drivers to come too.

Jare from Finland

Jare,
    You didn't need to introduce yourself, I already knew who you were...however, I was sorry not to get to enjoy some long conversations about the crazy things I've seen you do! There were many people I got to speak to for only a few seconds, that I really wanted to get to know better. You were one of them. Unfortunately, the Russians kept me busy with competition and after-competition vodka. Next time my friend!

As for me making it to 2011...I have already asked Red Bull if they would consider helping me make the event. I will try, but cannot make promises as it is a big commitment for me to make considering I am retired from competition! ;)
    Last edited by RedBullRockIt; 09-18-2010 at 11:07.
    RockOn,
    Dustin Webster

Original

----------------------------
    Oh yeah...one more IMPORTANT thing...to those that helped us keep Mishka in the game with the link repair...THANK YOU!!! That went VERY smooth due to your assistance! Also, the German guy that kept loaning us things like brake fluid...thanks to you as well...everyone was very generous but all of you guys went above and beyond and made it MUCH nicer!

Dustin Webster

----------------------------

Hy Dustin,

thanks, i,m surprised, that You remember those little naturally helps !

.....For you, and and all our friendly internatinal teams, ...every time again .....

Greats from germany

Norbert Sollner
    Last edited by G-rätetreiber; 09-22-2010 at 22:47.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12